1999 City of Ottawa Architectural Conservation Award Certificate of Merit
prev / next
4-H House was constructed in 1915 as the Apiculture Building for the Central Experimental Farm. In 1977, the building was declared surplus and was prepared for demolition. Public opposition helped save the building when the Central Experimental Farm was declared a National Historic Site. The first stage of this project included a building assessment and feasibility study. Exterior restoration work consisted of masonry re-pointing and cleaning, a new asphalt shingle roof and repainting of wood canopies, fascia and wood frame double-hung windows. The original building interior had been mostly demolished, so a new layout was designed for office use. Interior renovations included new gypsum board partitions, millwork constructed in maple hardwood, refinishing of existing hardwood floors, and a new stair. The building currently serves as the national office of the Canadian 4-H Council.